Click here... to join the IRB listserv and receive occasional announcements about changes to forms, policies and training opportunities.
We follow the WSU main campus holiday schedule and emergency closures.
Federal Wide Assurance
Wayne State University operates its Human Research Protection Program under a Federal Wide Assurance (FWA) on file with the Office for Human Research Protection with identification number: FWA 00002460. This registration can be accessed by typing in "Wayne State U" at this website: http://ohrp.cit.nih.gov/search/fwasearch.aspx?styp=bsc.
Individually Registered IRB Committee Numbers:
IRB00006856 is for PH1- Medical
IRB00000325 is for M1- Medical adult
IRB00000326 is for MP2- Medical and Pediatric
IRB00000327 is for B3- Social, Behavioral, Education, and
IRB00000328 is for MP4- Medical and Pediatric
This FWA covers the WSU IRBs and its affiliated health care institutions (Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Children's Hospital of Michigan, Detroit Receiving Hospital/University Health Center, Sinai-Grace Hospital, Harper University Hospital, Huron Valley/Sinai Hospital, Hutzel Women's Hospital, Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan, John D. Dingell Veterans Administration Medical Center, Michigan Orthopedic Surgery Hospital, and Oakwood Healthcare System).
For questions, concerns or suggestions regarding the Human Research Protection Program, please call (313) 577-1628.
- IRB Training Session: Submitting New Expedited Research to the IRB
- August 26 2014 at 11:00 AMIRB Administration OfficeIRB Training Sessions are open to all students, faculty and affiliated staff interested in learning about IRB review of research. Learn the requirements for new research projects that meet the criteria for expedited review. Learn what forms and other documents to submit, what information to include on the forms, and how to avoid common submission errors to reduce delays in the review of your study. The presenter reviews expedited initial submissions and will discuss the most common revisions required for IRB approval. When: Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 11:00 am – 12:00 pmWhere: IRB Administration Office, 87 East Canfield, 2nd Floor, Conference RoomSpeaker: Dawn Bielawski, PhD, Senior IRB Review Specialist
- IRB Training Session: Required Elements of Informed Consent for Research - WEBINAR
- September 3 2014 at 3:00 PMYour Desk - WebinarIRB Training Sessions are open to all students, faculty and all affiliated staff. This session will review the required elements of an informed consent document, and the consent process. Methods for obtaining consent will be discussed, including examples of when it might be appropriate to not obtain a signature; waive consent entirely, or alter one or more elements of consent. Parental Permission and obtaining consent from a Legally Authorized Representative (LAR) will also be considered during this session. When: Wednesday, September 3, 2014, 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm Where: Your Desk – Webinar Presentation Online, link will be sent when you RSVP Speaker: Ray-Nitra Pugh, Education Coordinator, IRB Administration Office
- IRB Training Session: Use of Retrospective Data (data already in existence) for Research
- September 8 2014 at 12:00 PMScott HallIRB Training Sessions are open to all students, faculty and all affiliated staff. Data (from or about persons) that already exist in medical records, educational records or in a database may serve as a resource for new research projects. This session will cover the Protocol Summary Form (IRB application) and HIPAA regulations (as applicable) for when research involves retrospective data. When: Monday, September 08, 2014, 12:00 pm – 1:00 pmWhere: WSU Medical Campus, Scott Hall, Room 1358Speaker: Ray-Nitra Pugh, Education Coordinator, IRB Administration Office
- IRB Training Session: Protected Health Information (PHI) and HIPAA Requirements in Research
- September 16 2014 at 1:00 PMScott HallIRB Training Sessions are open to all students, faculty and all affiliated staff. This seminar will cover the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements for research submitted to the WSU IRB. Topics will include obtaining written HIPAA Authorization from research participants, Waiver of HIPAA Authorization, Limited Data Sets and screening medical records and HIPAA requirements for recruitment. When: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 1:00 pm – 2:00 pmWhere: WSU Medical Campus, Scott Hall, Room 1140Speaker: Dr. Corey Zolondek, IRB Review Specialist & Research Subject Advocate
- IRB Training Session: When Does Research Require IRB Review?
- September 22 2014 at 10:00 AMIRB Administration OfficeIRB Training Sessions are open to all students, faculty and all affiliated staff. Learn the definition of research requiring IRB review and the kinds of research that may not require IRB review. Learn about the tool to request a determination about whether a project requires review. Note, that in most cases, these determinations should be made by the IRB/IRB Administration Office. When: Monday, September 22, 2014, 10:00 am –11:00 pmWhere: IRB Administration Office, 87 East Canfield, 2nd Floor, Conference RoomSpeaker: Ray-Nitra Pugh, Education Coordinator, IRB Administration Office
- More Events